.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Diamond Mountain Blog

This is an unofficial blog of news and info from Diamond Mountain University and Retreat Center which was founded by Geshe Michael Roach and Lama Christie McNally in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of the Dalai Lamas.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Rare

I'm sitting in the Bowie community center using their internet connection. They have a couple of desk top computers for folks and a strong wi-fi signal. Some kids are watching a VHS of the Disney movie "Alladin". The kids love it. It is an engaging movie, I had forgotten. Gilbert Godfrey is the voice of the villain's parrot. Hysterical. Robin Williams as the Genie of the Lamp.
In the main room here is a banner covering one window that reads "The people who walk through this door are special". There is a door next to the banner but there is a two by six propped against the handle so that it cannot be opened nor walked through. Funny.
The weather is amazing today. Some rain in the morning and last night. You can smell the creosote strongly in the air when it rains. There was a rainbow when the clouds cleared up. The sky stayed deep purple over the mountains near DMU. You could see sheets of lighter blue rain rolling out there while the sun was bright over Bowie. It is really dramatic. The town itself seems very beautiful today, even with and especially because of it's run down parts, which are everywhere. I saw a little white house/shack that had used asphalt roof tile nailed to the trim near the ground as weather proofing. Then they laid broken concrete against the tiles to keep them in place. It probably cost the owner nothing. I think that is sort of beautiful. Everything passes Bowie by, economy, trains, the interstate, politics, visible government, everything. And because that is so rare, it is beautiful.
People you love are equally as rare and beautiful. I've been trying to keep them in mind all day long and feel grateful for them. Seeing how loneliness was my biggest problem out here, it's the perfect head space for me. I have to say, that after a few weeks of this, I do feel strangely happy. I'm having trouble feeling stress about not finding work and various other factors that I have historically used to feel bummed about. It's nice to let that all go for a good long time. Oh, I also saw a fake nail on the ground in a puddle that was half the color of the sky and half the color of pearl, which was the color of the clouds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

well just passing through might make it all look quaint but the average guy in Bowie lives the future of the rest of America unless we get big changes.Obama was revealed to be a tool of the fat cats...The Republicans are worse
On a personal note i still can't see why you worker bees didn't get into making artisan objects...You had time and materials...it's what I do and it works.

January 17, 2012 10:21 AM  
Blogger JohnR said...

Hey Matt, love your blog. When the fires came through, I checked it every day, this is my first time back. One observation: Reading your post today, you sound like you've been on retreat, too. I'd try to describe that, but it sounds funny. Either way, I had to look twice at who was writing! Really enjoyed working with you last fall. Thanks for taking care of the retreaters and I hope we cross paths again.

John

February 04, 2012 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home