.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Diamond Mountain Blog

This is an unofficial blog of news and info from Diamond Mountain University and Retreat Center which was founded by Geshe Michael Roach and Lama Christie McNally in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of the Dalai Lamas.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Lama Dome Dailies, Dec 19

From the tireless servant we call Nicole Davis:

Today the dome got its cap. Earle and Will fastened it on just as the sun went down behind the mountain. I stared gaping while Earle carried the skylight up the ladder by himself, both hands on the skylight, no hands on the ladder. The masterful Canadian-made concrete ring, all fastened with bolts, now proudly anchors down the skylight...and now the circle is complete.

Meanwhile, the cob strike force was working their way around the dome, covering the last vestiges of white bag in soothing brown mud. Will installed flashing under what is soon to be the stargazing roofside loveseat. Jesse continued to patiently and skillfully trim the front door, while Laurie worked on the doorstep below, cobbling. Not cobbing (covering the dome with earth/sand/straw mixture) but cobbling (installing cobblestones). Viet cleaned the rocks with muriatic acid to get the lime plaster off and make them all pretty for the inspection. Bert went around with a big smile all day.

These past few days have been a mix of emotions for me, with the deadline approaching fast and our close family gradually disbanding. I am constantly on the edge of exhiliration and exhaustion at all that I have experienced, much of which cannot be put to words. In the last sixteen months working on this project, I have been to just about every place imaginable. When we put down the first earth bag in November 2007, I had no idea how magnificent a place we were creating. Now every day as I come up the hill, I'm awestruck by the magical elven palace that sits at the pinnacle of our love. For me, the Lama Dome is not just a place on a hilltop, it's a place in my heart. All who enter there enter here and stay. And that is every single one of you.

I'll miss Teddy, who flew in and stole our hearts, Will, whose potter's hands sculpted fine features in the cob, and my dear Ehrin, Viet, Steph and Elisha, whose love is boundless. I pay tribute to them, and to JohnEO, Ben, Matt, Katrina, Jesse, Jim, Ron, Dennis, Chuck, Earle, Karl, Christine, John, and Roger, whose steady work over the last few months has shown me the strength that exists in my own heart, to those who were here for a day or a month, and to those who supported us with food and funds. And to Bert, I love you tremendously. It has been a great honor to build this slice of heaven with you.

Two days left!!


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home