.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Diamond Mountain Blog

This is an unofficial blog of news and info from Diamond Mountain University and Retreat Center which was founded by Geshe Michael Roach and Lama Christie McNally in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition of the Dalai Lamas.

Monday, April 25, 2011

I went to the second weekend in Phoenix with Geshe Michael teaching Lam Rim. He is the most charming, skillful, genuine being in the universe. The teaching was like a love-in you could take your mom to. Perfect. I see now how important it is for me, and I would argue for the other care takers as well, to leave DMU for a while every now and then. Perspective is vital as is doing your job with joyful effort.
Phoenix confuses me. I think it is the worst sort of city I've ever been to but there is some kind of continuity and order to it that is strangely comforting. I don't know. I have to see more of it and meet the people there.
Back at DMU the retreatants are getting ready to get out of another one month deep retreat. This means we can take packages in to them. Getting too much mail during deep retreat can be really distracting, I am told. Things seem quiet and good in the valley and calm in the camp ground. There was some kind of tension there in the last few months. I think the stress of the winter and new people and a new phase of DMU created the tension. It's difficult to make a small community work smoothly at times. The friction is good for inner work, I will say.
Lord, I'm so tired I can't think. More to come from the high desert.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

The wind just makes people crazy.The word in town was there was a fist fight at the temple and the cops came up.Sad way to start the retreat for peace but we are all just learning as we go in this life...

April 29, 2011 2:32 PM  
Blogger Matt Gallup said...

Hi Jerry,
I just discovered how to look at comments on my blog. Tech is not my strong suit. There sure wasn't a fist fight but there was a guy who showed up in March (I think) who seemed fine but then had some sort of phycological break where he was screaming at some person in his head, threatening to kill, etc. He wasn't threatening real people but we called the cops anyway. He ended up going with the police with out a fight. Lucky for everyone.

June 03, 2011 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home